Use this exercise to get delegates describe themselves as they like and showcase it to others. There is a lot you can learn when people have to state something about themselves. The choice of words, pictures and diagrams can mean a lot on what their life priorities are which can be surprising at times. This exercise is suitable for team building and helping a group of a people to understand each other better.
Present yourself on a flipchart as you wish and showcase it to others.
What You Need
- Colour pens.
- A place to hang all the flipcharts used by delegates.
- Distribute the flipcharts to all delegates.
- Explain that they must populate the flipchart as they desire. They can use words, diagrams, pictures, icons or anything they wish on the flipchart to describe themselves.
- They must also write their names somewhere on the flipchart. The choice is theirs so long as their name is written on it.
- Allocate 10 minutes for this exercise.
- At the end of the allocated time, ask delegates to hang their flipcharts on the walls in the training room.
- Allow 15 minutes for everyone to go around and observe everyone’s flipcharts. Delegates can ask each other questions about what they see and also explain to those who ask.
- As an option, especially if you have many delegates, you can run this exercise just before going to tea break or lunch. Once everyone has drawn their flipcharts, hang them on the walls and state that it is now break time. They can use the break time to explore the flipcharts and have conversations with each other. This allows more time and also the social nature of the break time combined with eating can further help to bring people closer together and give them something to talk about with each other.
Explaining the Exercise: 2 minutes
Activity: 10 min making flipcharts + 15 flipchart observations = 25 minutes
Group Feedback: 0 minutes
Training Resources for You
Course Design Strategy
Available as paperback and ebook
Free Training Resources
Download a free comprehensive training package including training guidelines, soft skills training activities, assessment forms and useful training resources that you can use to enhance your courses.
Our Comprehensive Guide to Body Language
Train the Trainer Resources
Get Insights - Read Guides and Books - Attend Courses