Train the Trainer
The Art of Training Delivery
What makes a training course successful? What is the secret to conducting an effective and memorable training course? What makes a great trainer? Why some training courses are useful, motivating and educational while others are boring and forgettable?
This book provides you with a comprehensive set of guidelines on all aspects of training. The methodologies, scenarios and exercises presented in this book will ensure that you, as a trainer, are equipped with all the tools and skills needed to deliver a great training course. At Skills Converged, we specialise in supporting the training community with our state-of-the-art training materials. Over the years we have delivered numerous courses and have received extensive feedback from trainers who have used our products all over the world. We know what makes a training course successful and what makes one fail. In this book, we share our most treasured findings and experiences with you. We want to help you become the best trainer you can be and in turn, train as many people as possible around the world.
Research shows that one of the fastest ways to learn is through examples. This book contains a large number of examples, case studies, and important research in the field of adult education for you to employ. Whether you are teaching soft skills, management, IT, technical courses or arts and crafts, you can benefit from this book as the lessons are applicable to teach any topic.
In this book you will learn:
- How to get the most from your training courses
- How to avoid barriers to learning
- How to take advantage of principles of Accelerated Learning
- How to conduct a Training Needs Analysis
- How to present confidently
- How to avoid bad training delivery practices
- How to plan your course
- How to arrange the training environment optimally
- How to keep the delegates constantly engaged
- How to respond when you are being challenged
- How to avoid poor statements that can hinder learning
- How to take advantage of the power of story-telling
- How to run training exercises to get the most from them
A Note on the Second Edition of This Book
The first edition of “The Art of Training Delivery” contained a large number of examples and scenarios of poor training course delivery, with the purpose of helping you learn from these examples and improve on your own training skills. The Second Edition, which is extensively expanded, contains the following:
- In this edition, these scenarios have been enhanced and many more cases are added to the collection.
- This edition now contains the entirety of our highly-praised Train the Trainer Self-Study Course. Several lessons have been expanded and recent research and studies have been added. The book contains all the exercises and homework included in the self-study course. You can now have all the lessons in one place and go through the book at your own pace while analysing your training performance.
- Several new chapters have been added to the new edition such as guidelines on how learning works, managing expectations, attention management, history and background of Accelerated Learning and how to take advantage of it to improve your training delivery.
Where to Buy
This Second Edition of the book has been expanded extensively with new lessons and insights. Whether you are new to training or an experienced trainer, this book will help you examine your performance, reflect on it and improve it. The detailed homework and exercises will then help you formulate specific actions to systematically address each area that needs improvement.
About the Author
Dr Ethan Honary is the founder of Skills Converged, which specialises in designing soft skills training materials. He is a training consultant, an author and a course designer. He has an interest in a diverse set of subjects such as psychology, artificial intelligence, training the trainer, emotional intelligence, fine arts and software engineering. Ethan’s unique background and his great passion for the world of training mean that he understands the needs of a diverse set of learners and what it takes to train them. He is the author of several books, including Train the Trainer: The Art of Training Delivery, published under the Skills Converged brand and a bestseller in the field. For more than a decade, via Skills Converged, Ethan has enabled thousands of trainers worldwide to deliver outstanding training courses on soft skills. Through his instructor-led and online train the trainer courses, he shares his passion and his discoveries concerning how to design and deliver effective training courses. He lives in London with his wife.
Find out more about Dr Ethan Honary.