Personal perceptions have an important effect on the way we process information and use them to our benefit. The ability to understand new pieces of information or advice and the skill to apply this information to our own personal and professional situations increases our chances of success significantly. This exercise helps the delegates to understand the differences in perceptions even if the data given to them and their colleagues is exactly the same.
Delegates are asked to interpret a famous quote and consider how it would apply to their professional lives.
What You Need
- A blank sheet of paper and a pen
- Split the group into teams of 3 people.
- Write down 3 famous quotes on the flipchart. Example:
- “A fall into a ditch makes you wiser”
- Choose these quotes in relation to the professional environment the delegates work in for maximum results.
- Explain to teams that they have 15 minutes to come up with a one sentence explanation about each quote and 2 examples of how each quotes relates to their current job or something they’ve done before professionally.
- At the end the allocated time, each team has to read their interpretation of each quote and the examples they found to the rest of the group.
Explaining the Test: 5 minutes.
Activity: 15 minutes
Group Feedback: 10 minutes.
Encourage delegates to discuss their findings with the group. How did each team come up with their interpretation? How similar was the perceptions of each team compared to others? How does different interpretations of the same quote changes the way we apply the information to our life?
Training Resources for You
Course Design Strategy
Available as paperback and ebook
Free Training Resources
Download a free comprehensive training package including training guidelines, soft skills training activities, assessment forms and useful training resources that you can use to enhance your courses.
Our Comprehensive Guide to Body Language
Train the Trainer Resources
Get Insights - Read Guides and Books - Attend Courses