This is a fun and noisy exercise that is ideal for a recap situation. You have thought a subject to your delegates and now want to test their knowledge or encourage them to review it. This exercise helps you to achieve this using a light hearted competition.
Form a line in a grid by answering questions and beat the other team
What You Need
- Flipchart of whiteboard to draw a grid on.
- A series of questions. These should be prepared before the exercise. Examples are given below.
- Two coloured sets of post-it notes.
- Divide the groups to two teams.
- Draw a grid of 4 by 4 on the whiteboard or flipchart.
- Write a letter in each of the squares. These letters must match your questions as explained below.
- Assign a unique post-it-note to each group.
- Explain that the objective of the game is to form a vertical or horizontal line of 3 squares. The first team that makes a line wins.
- At each step, ask a question related to the subject that you want to recap. For example:
- Name an animal class name that starts with B? Bird
- Name a bird that swims starting with P? Penguin
- What T leads to the effect of ___ on ____?
- For each step, expect the correct answer from the team. The team that answers correctly first wins the round. Place their post-it note on the square with the corresponding letter.
- Teams can compete to answer questions in a way to block each other on the grid.
- Continue until a team wins.
Explaining the Test: 5 minutes.
Activity: 15 – 30 minutes (depends on the difficulty level and the size of your grid)
Group Feedback: 5 minutes.
- Instead of winning by making a 3 square line, teams can win when you making a 4 square line.
- Use a grid larger than 4 by 4 to make the game last longer.
- Groups can win using diagonal lines as well.
- Use duplicate letters throughout the grid. When a team wins, ask them to choose which letter they want to stick their post-it note on. This allows them to follow a strategy much like the classic game of Connect 4 and compete with each other.
Training Resources for You
Course Design Strategy
Available as paperback and ebook
Free Training Resources
Download a free comprehensive training package including training guidelines, soft skills training activities, assessment forms and useful training resources that you can use to enhance your courses.
Our Comprehensive Guide to Body Language
Train the Trainer Resources
Get Insights - Read Guides and Books - Attend Courses