This exercise is a great energizer. It is highly active and best performed outdoors. At first, this exercise may sound bizarre but people usually get used to it quickly. It can be used as teambuilding activities for kids or for adults.
Walk or run through a human barrier while it opens up as a Mexican wave.
What You Need
- Large area, preferably outdoors.
- Get the participants to form two lines and stand facing each other.
- Ask them to raise their hands toward each other blocking the pass between them. Their hands should slightly overlap.
- Nominate one person at the end of the line to be the Initiator.
- Ask the Initiator to turn and walk between the two lines of people. As the Initiator walks, others must raise their hands like a Mexican wave to allow the person to pass.
- The Initiator should join others at the end of the line.
- At this point another person from the top of the lines will repeat the activity.
- As participants become more comfortable, ask the passers to walk faster, run or even sprint.
- Observe that the whole group shifts to one side over time.
- Stop the activity after a desired interval.
Explaining the Exercise: 5 minutes.
Activity: 15 minutes
Group Feedback: 0 minutes.
Training Resources for You
Course Design Strategy
Available as paperback and ebook
Free Training Resources
Download a free comprehensive training package including training guidelines, soft skills training activities, assessment forms and useful training resources that you can use to enhance your courses.
Our Comprehensive Guide to Body Language
Train the Trainer Resources
Get Insights - Read Guides and Books - Attend Courses