This exercise aims to introduce an effective method for problem solving and brainstorming within teams. It demonstrates the efficiency of using other’s experiences and expertise in solving problems and dealing with challenging situations.
A group of delegates to help solving a specific problem
What You Need
- Chairs for delegates
- A flip chart for each group
- Marker pens
- Divide the delegates into groups of 5 people.
- Ask each group to sit in a circle with a flip chart and marker pens nearby.
- Choose a member of the group randomly and ask him to explain his problem to the group as clearly as possible in 2 minutes.
- Once the problem has been stated, explain that others in the group have 5 minutes to ask any questions to clarify the problem and gain a better understanding of the issue. They, however, cannot offer any solutions.
- After 5 minutes, ask the delegate with the problem to push his chair backwards, out of the circle about a meter and ask him to quietly observe the session until instructed otherwise.
- Explain to the group that they have 10 minutes to explore the problem and brainstorm possible solutions. They can use the flipchart and pens for brainstorming.
- Ask the delegate with the problem to join the group in their discussion and offer suggestions.
- Give the person with the problem 2 minutes to explain what he has gained from this session and if the group has helped him to come up with any solutions.
Explaining the Exercise: 5 minutes
Activity: 20 minutes
Group Feedback: 10 minutes
Ask delegates if they found this exercise helpful? Did they come up with new ways of looking at a problem? Would they use this method or a similar set up in future for problem solving? How effective is it to use a group of people in finding solutions?
Training Resources for You
Course Design Strategy
Available as paperback and ebook
Free Training Resources
Download a free comprehensive training package including training guidelines, soft skills training activities, assessment forms and useful training resources that you can use to enhance your courses.
Our Comprehensive Guide to Body Language
Train the Trainer Resources
Get Insights - Read Guides and Books - Attend Courses