This activity helps delegate to recognise and understand the equality between sexes better and overcome some possible misconceptions about opposite sex. This exercise works best with larger groups of delegates with an equal number of men and women participants.
Delegates to choose the best answer without knowing the group responsible for them.
What You Need
- A flipchart for each group
- A marker pen for each group
- The “Questionnaire” given below
- Divide the delegates into men and women.
- Ask half of the men and half of the women group to leave the training room.
- Give one flipchart to the ladies and one to men.
- Show the “Questionnaire” on the projector. You can also give it as a handout, though it is ideal you show it as a slide.
- Explain each group (one of men and one of ladies) to answer the questions shown below collectively and record their answers on their flipcharts.
- After 5 minutes, place the two flipcharts in front of the room, facing the delegates.
- Ask the other delegates to come back to the training room. They are not allowed to talk to people already present in the room.
- Ask those from outside to sit in the front row facing the flipcharts. Explain that they should decide which of the two answers are better and vote on it. Ask them to record their choice. Repeat this for each of the three questions.
- At the end of the voting, reveal which flipchart belongs to which group.
- Follow with a discussion
Explaining the Test: 5 minutes.
Activity: 5 min + 5 min = 10 minutes
Group Feedback: 10 minutes.
Have you ever experienced or witnessed gender inequality in work place? How does it make you feel? Was this exercise helpful in showing the lack of basis for gender inequality?
For each question, write down your chosen answer on your flipchart:
1. If you don’t agree with a superior’s opinion at work, would you:
a) Explain your disagreement in a private meeting
b) Talk to your colleagues about how unfair it is
c) Announce your disagreement more publicly to gain more support
2. If you feel you haven’t been paid appropriately, would you:
a) Spend less time working
b) Ask your boss directly for a pay rise
c) Speak to your union for a more organised action for pay rise
3- The most important thing about your job is:
c) The opportunity to work within a team
By Body language @ Monday, December 21, 2009 6:51 AM
I need a training package of TOT
By rapid share @ Thursday, January 28, 2010 12:05 PM
I really enjoyed reading it. I would like to read more on this topic...I keep admiring time and effort you put in your blog, because it is obviously one great place where I can find lot of useful info.
By Ehsan Honary @ Thursday, January 28, 2010 1:00 PM
rapid share, thank you very much for your kind comments.
Training Resources for You
Course Design Strategy
Available as paperback and ebook
Free Training Resources
Download a free comprehensive training package including training guidelines, soft skills training activities, assessment forms and useful training resources that you can use to enhance your courses.
Our Comprehensive Guide to Body Language
Train the Trainer Resources
Get Insights - Read Guides and Books - Attend Courses