This is a great exercise to get the delegates to pay attention to where they are in life and perhaps where they want to go. It is a good eye opener, so it is ideal when you want to talk about motivation or want to energise team members. It is also ideal for use in coaching session.
Look at an illustration and decide where you are and where you want to be.
What You Need
- A copy of the “Tree of Life” (also known as “Jelly Bean Tree”, “Learning Tree”, "Emotions Tree" and “Jelly Bean Tree”). You can obtain a copy from a number of books that contain these illustrations.
- Distribute the handouts to delegates.
- Ask them to circle around one which most represents them.
- Now ask them to circle around one which they want to be.
- Ask delegates to share their choices with others and explain why they think this way.
- Go through the training session and at the end, ask them again to look at the image and circle around one that they think now represents them. This method can help delegates to see if their view has changed as a result of the training session.
Explaining the Test: 2 minutes.
Activity: 5 minutes
Group Feedback: 5 minutes.
What do you think of this exercise? What did you discover about yourself? Did this exercise help you to formulate what you think of yourself?
By John @ Wednesday, September 2, 2009 1:14 AM
Fantastic. I was just looking for this. Thanks.
By Helen @ Tuesday, April 15, 2014 5:03 AM
do you know who owns copyright on the emotion tree?
I wanted to use it in an ebook but don't want to breach copyright.
Any info would be v helpful.
By Chelsea Elm @ Tuesday, April 15, 2014 9:36 PM
They are known as "blob tree" as well. Have a look on amazon for a variety of books and resources on this. You can then contact the publisher to obtain permission.
Here is a link to help you:
Hope this helps.
By Ian Long @ Tuesday, April 7, 2015 5:19 AM
Hi Helen, I am the copyright holder of The Blob Tree along with Pip Wilson
Message me on email@example.com
Ian Long, Blob Tree Artist
Training Resources for You
Course Design Strategy
Available as paperback and ebook
Free Training Resources
Download a free comprehensive training package including training guidelines, soft skills training activities, assessment forms and useful training resources that you can use to enhance your courses.
Our Comprehensive Guide to Body Language
Train the Trainer Resources
Get Insights - Read Guides and Books - Attend Courses