The aim of this exercise is to emphasise the importance of non verbal communication when working in a team.
The teams should design a specific product without any verbal communications.
What You Need
- A piece of A3 paper or a flipchart sheet for each team
- Coloured marker pens
- Some scrap papers for each team
- Split the group into subgroups of three or four people.
- Each team is given a sheet of paper, some scrap papers and coloured marker pens.
- Ask the teams to design a specific object (e.g. Shoes, Bags, etc.) on their paper using the markers. Team members cannot use verbal communication during design.
- Each team has 10 minutes to finish the design.
Explaining the Test: 5 minutes.
Activity: 10 minutes
Group Feedback: 20 minutes.
Explain to the group the importance of effective communication within the group. Mention that 55% of any communication consists of non verbal clues. How difficult was it to communicate without speaking? What methods participants used for communication?