This is a great exercise to get the delegates to pay attention to where they are in life and perhaps where they want to go. It is a good eye opener, so it is ideal when you want to talk about motivation or want to energise team members. It is also ideal for use in coaching session.
Look at an illustration and decide where you are and where you want to be.
What You Need
- A copy of the “Tree of Life” (also known as “Jelly Bean Tree”, “Learning Tree”, "Emotions Tree" and “Jelly Bean Tree”). You can obtain a copy from a number of books that contain these illustrations.
- Distribute the handouts to delegates.
- Ask them to circle around one which most represents them.
- Now ask them to circle around one which they want to be.
- Ask delegates to share their choices with others and explain why they think this way.
- Go through the training session and at the end, ask them again to look at the image and circle around one that they think now represents them. This method can help delegates to see if their view has changed as a result of the training session.
Explaining the Test: 2 minutes.
Activity: 5 minutes
Group Feedback: 5 minutes.
What do you think of this exercise? What did you discover about yourself? Did this exercise help you to formulate what you think of yourself?