This exercise highlights the importance of body language in communication.
Delegates should speak and listen while avoiding smiling and eye contact.
- Delegates work in pairs:
- Person A: To talk about his/her hobby for one minute and to avoid smiling
- Person B: To listen with interest and ask questions if want to.
- Delegates in each pair then swap places:
- Person B: To talk about his/her hobby naturally.
- Person A: To listen without any eye contact or asking any questions
Explaining the test: 5 minutes.
Activity: 7 minutes
Group feedback: 5 minutes.
If more time is available, both people in the pair can experience both situations.
Discuss the exercise by asking delegates the following questions:
- How did they feel at the end of each conversation?
- Did they feel ignored, frustrated or insulted?
- How could the situation be improved?
- How body language affects communication and binding?
- What other methods can be used to provide an enjoyable and flawless conversation?